Repair FAQ – King and Kittitas County

Before you apply for our Home Repair Program, read the frequently asked questions.  If your question isn’t answered here, please call (206) 866-7615 or email.

What kind of repairs do you do?

We are currently able to do a variety of exterior repairs including roof repair/replacement, window and door installation, painting, yard clean-ups, junk removal, siding repair, deck repair, gutters, and more. Projects can be big or small. Interior repairs are limited, but may be provided through the use of a contractor. Aging in Place and accessibility features are also incorporated through the Habitat Repair Program.

What’s the difference between Critical Home Repairs, Minor Home Repair, and Aging in Place? What if I need more than one?

All three programs are considered part of Habitat’s Repair Program. Critical Home Repairs (CHR) are larger in scope and require a more in-depth application process. Minor Home Repair is geared toward smaller jobs that focus on preserving the residence and can be done in 1-2 days with a few staff or volunteers. Aging in Place (AIP) focuses more on the needs and safety of the individual in their home.

Examples of Critical Home Repairs include roof replacement, window and door installation, exterior painting, siding and deck repair, gutter replacement and more.  Interior work is limited and may be considered on a case by case basis.

Examples of Minor Home Repair activities include gutter cleaning and minor repair, moss removal, brush and debris removal, handrail installation, fence repair, and walkway repair. 

Examples of Aging in Place include improving accessibility to points of entry and improving the overall living space in the home to reduce risk of falls, as well as connecting homeowners to resources outside of Habitat.

Aging in Place services may be accessed in addition to a Critical Home Repair or Minor Home Repair project, or as a stand-alone service. This will be determined at the time of application.

Do you work on mobile homes?

Yes, we can provide repairs if the mobile home was built after 1976 and the repair costs does not exceed 50% of the value of the home. Services for Minor Home Repair and Aging in Place may be provided for mobile homes without the above restrictions.

How do I apply for the programs?

Complete the repair intake form or call us at (206) 866-7615 for King County residence or 509-818-1974 for Kittitas County residence. After the initial intake is complete we can provide you with an application to the Critical Home Repair, Minor Home Repair or Aging in Place Programs. We will send you an application through e-mail or mail.

What information do I need to apply?

Depending on which program you are applying to we will provide you with an application with a list of the documents needed, all programs will require:

  • Proof of income for all household members
  • 2 months bank statements for all household members
  • Current homeowners insurance
  • Current government issued ID

How long does it take to complete a repair?

The application process for Critical Home Repairs can take 2-8 months. Work schedules are based on several criteria including: weather, urgency, scope of work, and the construction schedule. Applicants are contacted in a timely manner as to the status and next steps for their repair project.

Minor Home Repair and Aging in Place projects are completed within a shorter time range. Usually taking from 4 to 12 weeks to process.

Can I apply anytime?

Yes! If you are interested in applying to our Repair Program, please fill out our Intake form. Click Here

How do participants pay for repairs?

Critical Home Repair Projects will be subject to a deferred loan that is paid upon sale or transfer of the home. Some project costs may be paid for through grants.

Minor Home Repair Projects and Aging in Place Projects are subject to a one-time $50 fee. All other costs are covered through grants or paid through the Fund for Humanity.

For Critical Home Repairs Sweat equity is the volunteer time participants invest in their home repair project. Participants contribute a minimum of 8 hours per project, plus an additional 2 hours for every volunteer day. Not all sweat equity is physical labor and we can accommodate all ages, abilities, and skill levels. Sweat equity can include helping in the Habitat office, approved home repair workshops, preparing your house for repair and other approved volunteer activities.

Applicants applying for Minor Home Repair and aging in Place Projects are required to give back a minimum of 2 hours support to the Habitat mission.  The type of support will depend on your interest and physical ability.  Some examples of opportunities are:  Write, tell, or record the history of your community, then share it with a youth group and community members, write thank you notes for the affiliate, community involvement such as spearheading a community event, participate in a phone tree to check in on community residents, participate in a neighborhood watch, assist neighbors by helping with child care and homework or storytelling, help conduct outcome evaluation and surveys, starting a community garden or helping with a community clean-up day. Homeowners must also participate in Home Maintenance education, this can be taken through Habitat at our office or offered in your home to cater specifically to your home maintenance needs.

Where do you work?

Currently service areas include Federal Way, Renton, South Seattle, White Center, Glendale, Bryn Mawr-Skyway and unincorporated King County if no other services are available. We serve all areas of Kittitas County. Information for other home repair programs and resources can be provided upon request.